“There is no reason for it to grow; we are providing our services for free” said Fenil Shah Managing Director of eRevival LLC – an electronics recycling company. Every refuse hoist day I find at least 3-4 CRT monitors awaiting curbside garbage lift up. On an average a CRT monitor contains about 5 lbs of lead. So one can imagine how harmful it can be to the environment if not recycled appropriately and the health hazards / issues we could all face due to this. “When I witness any electronics device waiting for municipal garbage pickup, I elect to pick it up and take it to work for recycling,” said Mr. Shah.
To our surprise only 10% of the electronics are recycled the rest 90% are sent to landfills. Legislation in many US states makes it mandatory for business/organization to recycle electronics. Should a business fail to recycle they may be subject to fines. But we continue to see more and more e-waste disposed in municipal garbage, as businesses and individuals are not aware of e-waste and the harm they pose to our environment.
When it comes to disposal of electronics and computer equipment, privacy comes to our mind. “In a curbside pickup I often find that the data is intact on the hard drive,” said Fenil Shah. Keeping this in mind a research experiment done by some MIT students, it was concluded that they acquired a number of hard drives form eBay. These hard drives which were brought over the internet at a discounted rate, on nearly 88% had some private and confidential information like credit card numbers, personal details, and personal pictures/video. Some states / cities council law and legislation (or Rules & Regulations) make it mandatory to destroy data before disposal, but not all and hence one is better off disposing the electronic devices via E-Recycle rather than disposing off with the daily household or municipal waste. So this leaves the ball in our court whether we decide to dispose it via e-recycle or daily municipal waste!
Also, medical, legal, and financial professionals are subject to privacy guidelines such as HIPAA for health care. Should a professional firm fail to destroy data before disposal they may be subject to fines and in certain circumstances persecution or even imprisonment? By default eRevival performs data destruction and tag removal on all recycling shipments. The company also offers hard drive shredding services, physical destruction of hard drive, making it practically “impossible” to retrieve any data. This also exceeds all the privacy guidelines Harddriveshredding.net is their newest service through which a customer may ship their hard drives to be shredded. This can be proved with the Certificate of Destruction and S/N log of all the hard drives destroyed provided by the company. This is the best method to save ourselves from the health hazards we face. Not only that but at the end of the day, our peace of mind when we know that our confidential data is not falling in the wrong hands.
If you think you can make a difference and want to save our environment log on to www.eRevival.com
Create your own unique website with customizable templates.